By Chef Reetu Uday Kugaji, Celebrity Chef, Culinary Expert, Mentor, Food Blogger, Hospitality and Food Consultant
Shrikhand (Traditional Maharashtrian Dessert)
Creamy, smooth and rich dessert is usually prepared in Maharashtrian homes… with Hung curds, Powdered sugar, Buchanania lanzan seeds, Saffron, is flavored with Green Cardamom Powder and garnished with slivered nuts. Served Chilled
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Chilling Time in Refrigerator- 1 ½ hour
Ingredients and Quantity:
- Hung Curds- 1 ½ cup
- Powdered Sugar, sifted- 1/4th cup
- Green Cardamom Powder- 1 tsp. or more as desired.
- Milk – 01 tbsp.
- Buchanania lanzan seeds (Charoli seeds/ Chironji seeds), blanched- 02 tsp.
- Saffron steeped in a little warm milk- a few strands
- Saffron strands- 1/4th gm.
- Almonds, blanched, peeled and slivered / Almond flakes-10 gm.
- Pistachio nuts, blanched, peeled and slivered – 10 gm.
- Rose petals (dried & edible): 01 tsp. (Optional)
- In a food processor, add Hung curds, cardamom powder, and sugar.
- Blend it till smooth.
- Add milk to adjust consistency.
- Remove in a glass bowl add charoli seeds, saffron steeped in warm milk and mix well.
- Chill the shrikhand in the refrigerator for 1 ½ hour.
- Serve chilled garnished with slivered almonds, pistachio nuts, and dried edible rose petals.
- Instead of a food processor, you may simply whisk the ingredients until well blended.
- You may add cold milk if required i.e. if the hung curds are too thick.
- You may grated nutmeg if desired.