Gudi Padwa is upon us, here are a few festive dishes that will add the sparkle of festive. Recipes by Maharaj Bhawar Singh, Corporate Chef – Khandani Rajdhani
1. 2 cups Besan Flour Karkara
2. 3 tbsp melted Ghee
3. 6 tbsp milk
4. 1 cup melted ghee 1
5. 1/4 cups sugar
6. 5 tsp milk
7. 1 tbsp rose water optional
8. 1/4 tsp Elaichi powder
9. 1/4 tsp Kesar (Saffron )
10. 1/2 tap ghee for greasing
11. 1 tbsp Pista chops for sprinkling
12. 1 tbsp Almond (Badam ) for sprinkling
- The saffron and ½ tsp warm water in a bowl, mix well and keep aside,Combine the besan, 3 tbsp of melted ghee and 3 tbsp of milk in a deep bowl and mix well using your fingertips till no lumps remain, gently press it to even out the mixture. Cover with a lid and keep aside for 30 minutes. Break the lumps lightly with your fingertips and sieve it using a sieve with big holes. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a brass vessel on a high flame for 1 minute.
- Add the sieved besan mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, or till the mixture turns brown in colour, while stirring continuously.Remove from the flame and keep aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the sugar and 1 cup of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a high flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Lower the flame to slow, when it boils, add 2 tsp of milk, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Remove the dirt that floats on the sugar mixture and discard it.Lower the flame to slow and cook for 7 minutes, or till the syrup is of 1. 5 thread consistency, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the rose water and mix well. Keep aside,
- Add the cardamom powder, saffron-water mixture and sugar Syrup to the cooled besan mixture, mix well and stir for approx. 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring continuously or till the mixture cools.
- Make round Ladoo.