By Vishal Kejariewal, CEO & Co-Founder of Taxidio Travel
South America. Situated half way across the world, the continent beckons with its resplendent culture, sheer natural beauty and array of irresistible cuisine.
So, whether you want to go back in time and visit the architectural splendour of eras gone by, or unleash your wild side with unbridled adventure tourism, shake your hip to the mesmerising music or just enjoy the night life, South America should be on your bucket list. There’s something for everyone in the family at all these destinations.
Each country in this wonderful continent has much to offer families who wish to make the trip and immerse themselves in the magical landscape. Here are 5 places that you should visit at least once in your lifetime.
We reckon, they’ll bring you back for a repeat visittoo.
1. Argentina: How could you go wrong in the birthplace of Tango? Whether you’re in Buenos Aires, with its cafes, boulevards, wine and delectable cuisine or in Mendoza with its adventure sports and thrilling natural wonders, Argentina is a place you cannot afford to miss! Be sure to visit the Iguazu Falls on the border with Brazil, which is guaranteed to take your family’s breath away. Glide among the glaciers, laze in the sands or simply turn back the pages of history in the Colonial architecture of Salta.
2. Brazil: Heard about the fabled Amazon Jungle? Brazil lets you traverse in the very lap of nature with a visit to these rainforests to experience the unique flora and fauna of this region. And if your family is the less adventurous sort, there’s always the option to shop in the bustling metropolis of Sao Paolo or soak in the sun at Rio De Janeiro. There are dunes, wetlands and mountains galore for the nature lovers. One trip will not be enough to experience the country to the fullest.
3. Peru: The Incan civilization first came to prominence in 13th Century AD and would remain intact until the 16th century. Today, all that’s left of the once flourishing people are the historical landmarks spread across Peru. Visit the historic Machu Picchu (which is quite a hike, so be warned) or check out what remains of the Sacred Valley. Even the capital, Peru and historical goldmine Cusco have much to offer the history buffs among you. If you thought history lessons aren’t exciting, wait till these monuments leave you mesmerised.
4. Ecuador: Situated right on the Equator, it is but natural that Ecuador would boast every natural wonder that the world has to offer. The adventurous among you can attempt the Death swing, while others can rediscover their love for nature at the wildlife research centres. From volcanoes to sparkling waters, every terrain you can imagine, and more is on display in Ecuador. Stand smack dab in the centre of the world at the aptly named ‘Middle of The World’ monument, if you so desire too!
5. Chile: On the map, the country of Chile looks much like a chili does, that is to mean that it’s long and narrow. Any traveller to the country is guaranteed a range of experiences that he/she will never forget, from glaciers to blue lagoons to skiing opportunities. Lying entirely in the Southern Hemisphere, Chile lets you sunbathe in the winters and yes, ski during the summer season. The mysterious Easter Islands are always a delight to visit. With nature and civilization galore, there are few places like Chile.